RSD/5/2 - University Hall - 1898 - 1980
Administrative records including minute books (1898-1952), Annual Reports (1899-1921); Prospectuses (1908-1911; 1928-1931 onwards); report on travel bursaries (1932-1938); Committee and Warden correspondence and Papers. Also records relating to University Hall Association: newsletters (1911-1946); A...
|Archive level description:||Series|
|Physical Description:||2 series|
|Summary:||Administrative records including minute books (1898-1952), Annual Reports (1899-1921); Prospectuses (1908-1911; 1928-1931 onwards); report on travel bursaries (1932-1938); Committee and Warden correspondence and Papers. Also records relating to University Hall Association: newsletters (1911-1946); Annual Bulletins (1927-1960, 1967); minutes (1932-1935) and membership records (1908-1921, 1951-1952). Students' minutes books 1920-1945; copies of Phoenix magazine (1912-1916). Portraits of staff and benefactors, annual group photographs of staff and students (1911-1966; 1974-1980) and views of the interior and exterior of the hall.|
|Date:||1898 - 1980|
|Related Material:||A copy of rules of University Hall, Liverpool, womens' hall of residence is held in the Rathbone Papers (Also held at the University of Liverpool Special Collections and Archives) reference number RP XVIII.4.3|
|Separated Material:||S247 contains minutes relating to Sub-Committee of University Hall and Rankin Hal dating from 1941-1957.|
A Hall for women students was opened at 163 Edge Lane, Fairfield (then a fashionable neighbourhood) in October 1899, as a result of private donations organised by a voluntary committee, among whose members Miss Emma Holt, Miss Eva Melly and Mrs Herdman were the most prominent. The Principal of University College sat on the committee, but there was no other official relationship with the College at first. In 1904 the Board of Education recognised the hall as a hostel for Day Training College Students at Liverpool. There were extensions of the original site in 1902 (187 Edge Lane), 1904 (Beech Hill and new wing), 1906 (playing field), 1914 (new wing), 1916 (Holly Bank and 19 Beech Street), 1918 (6 & 8 Holly Road, 293 Edge Lane (Devonshire House), 289 Edge Lane). In 1924 there was considerable rebuilding of the older houses. For a time there was a branch hostel at Aigburth, and during 1939-1945 the Hall was evacuated to Rankin Hall, Ullet Road.
The Hall came under the control of Liverpool University in 1921, when the General Committee was dissolved and the executive committee continued as University Hall Sub-Committee of the Hostels Committee of the University. By the 1970s University Hall was used by both male and female students. University Hall was closed before the start of the 1984-85 session.
Lists of committee members, Wardens and other staff may be found in the special edition of the Bulletin of the University Hall Association, University Hall Fiftieth Anniversary, 1952 (a series of essays on the Hall at various periods of its history). (no. 8/43 below)