D438 - Young, John Alfred, photographs of University of Liverpool students - 1913-1925
Photographs and copies of photographs of staff and students of Ashton Rathbone Hostel, Rankin Hall (Ullet Road), and of athletic teams, Panto Night students etc.
|Archive level description:
|24 photographs, oversize package
|Photographs and copies of photographs of staff and students of Ashton Rathbone Hostel, Rankin Hall (Ullet Road), and of athletic teams, Panto Night students etc.
|Mrs Mary Gascoyne November and December 1987, July 2000 and November 2001
|For records relating to Rankin Hall (also Ashton Rathbone and later Derby Hall), see Records of Halls no longer in use in Halls of Residence
John Alfred Young entered the University of Liverpool in October 1919, graduated BA Jul 1922 and obtained the Diploma in Education in Jul 1923. He registered for an MA in Geography in session 1923-24 but in October 1923 left the course.
W S Angus, Warden, Rankin Hall 1923-1928
N R Tempest, William Roscoe Professor of Education, University of Liverpool 1954-1972; lecturer 1945-1949
In 1922 the University of Liverpool established two men's Halls of Residence in Ullet Road, these were Ashton Rathbone and Rankin. They were not purpose built halls but occupied two houses each and were difficult and uneconomical to run. In 1928 the University purchased a fifth house and merged the two halls to be run as a single unit. In 1930 a Hall Journal, the Blue Pigeon was launched to help create a sense of unity. Between 1964 and 1972 the University built a new Rankin Hall on the Carnatic site to replace the Ullet Road site.