D261 - Photographs of the Abercromby Square/Oxford Street area of Liverpool - n.d. [1930s]

Photographs of buildings on Abercromby Square and Oxford Street taken in the [1930s]

Archive level description: Series
Physical Description:4 photographs
Summary:Photographs of buildings on Abercromby Square and Oxford Street taken in the [1930s]
Date:n.d. [1930s]
Reference Number:D261
Custodial History:Mr McDonald acquired these photographs from his father.
Biographical/Administrative Information:Abercromby Square was created in the early 19th century when the surrounding Mount Pleasant and Brownlow Hill areas were developed with Abercromby Square to form the nucleus of an area of high-class residential housing. The square itself, known as Abercrombie Square until 1840, was named in commemoration of General Sir Ralph Abercromby, commander in chief of the British Army in Egypt and killed in the battle of Alexandria in 1801. In 1819 the square laid out and surrounded with cast-iron railings with a domed Garden House being erected at its centre 2 years later. The first house to be erected appears to have been No. 9, now part of the Department of History and inhabitants were registered in the 1823 Gore's Directory of Liverpool for Nos. 5, 8, 9 and 11. In 1831 St Catherine's Church was erected on what is now the site of Senate House, the church having been largely destroyed by bombing in 1941. No. 19 was the last house to be erected on the North side of the Square, it was designed by William Culshaw for the use of Charles Kuhn Prioleau, an American and senior partner in the commercial firm of Messrs. Fraser, Trenhlm and Co. The University entered the square in 1920 with the purchase of Nos. 10 and 11 and since then have acquired its remaining properties. (For further information see the article on the history of Abercromby Square in The University of Liverpool Recorder , Nos. 95, 97 and 101)