EXT - Continuing Education - 1935-2011
Most of the material covers the period from 1935-1960, and comprises administrative correspondence and other papers relating to the arrangement of courses by the department, including summer schools and adult education in H.M. Forces. Much of this correspondence is between those working at the depar...
|Archive level description:||Sub-sub fonds|
|Physical Description:||35 boxes.|
|Summary:||Most of the material covers the period from 1935-1960, and comprises administrative correspondence and other papers relating to the arrangement of courses by the department, including summer schools and adult education in H.M. Forces. Much of this correspondence is between those working at the department, including Allan McPhee and Thomas Kelly, and tutors, students, and external partners. Class registers, syllabuses, and tutors' reports of classes are included. There is a substantial number of digital copies of photographs from later years, mostly 1980s-2000s.|
|Accruals:||No further accruals expected.|
|Access Conditions:||Access is open to bona fide researchers unless otherwise stated.|
The collection has been arranged in the following series:
|Finding Aids:||A copy of this finding aid is available for consultation in the reading room.|
|Related Material:||Course prospectuses for the Institute of Extension Studies, subsequently the Department of Continuing Education, between the years 1975-2006 are held in the University Archive, reference number A295.Papers of the Southport University Extension Society are held in the University Archive, reference number D33.Departmental annual reports for 1946-1988, though not a complete run, can be found in the Special Collections and Archives reading room, classmark R/LA639.L7.U55.|
|Separated Material:||PLACEHOLDER - Some material related to the Southport University Extension Society added to D33.|
|Access Restrictions:||Reproduction and Licensing Rules available on request.|
Although a University Extension Board had existed since 1911, a full Department of Adult Education was not established until 1936. This was re-named the Department of Extra-Mural Studies in 1938, with Dr. Allan McPhee serving as the University's Officer for Extra Mural Studies.
The Department offered a range of courses from short lecture series to three-year tutorial courses. Much work was done in collaboration with the West Lancashire and Cheshire District of the Workers' Educational Association, under the auspices of the University's Joint Committee on Tutorial Classes, and classes took place in locations across the region.During the Second World War, the department was home to the Liverpool Regional Committee for Adult Education in H.M. Forces, with McPhee serving as Honorary Secretary. The Regional Committee undertook a wide programme of extension courses in the forces during and after the war.
In 1948, Thomas Kelly joined as Director of the department, a post he held until 1975. By 1960 the department was running courses for around 5000 students, with the Royal Institution housing most of the Liverpool-based classes. Around one-fifth of courses were still run in collaboration with the W.E.A.
In 1970 the department was reconstituted as the Institute of Extension Studies, later known as the School of Extension Studies and then, from 1984, the Department of Continuing Education. At this time, the department was endowed with the William Roscoe Chair and moved into 126 Mount Pleasant.
Since 2001, Continuing Education sits within the Centre for Lifelong Learning, still based at 126 Mount Pleasant.