D453 - Thearle, Herbert - 1925-1948

Letters and postcards from Prof Sir Charles Reilly to Herbert Thearle 1925-1948, n.d.; photograph of Reilly and others; photocopies of letters from Roderick Bisson to Mr Thearle 1942, 1945. n.d.

Main Creator: Thearle, Herbert
Other Creators: Reilly, Charles
Archive level description: Sub-sub fonds
Physical Description:1 envelope
Subjects:
Summary:Letters and postcards from Prof Sir Charles Reilly to Herbert Thearle 1925-1948, n.d.; photograph of Reilly and others; photocopies of letters from Roderick Bisson to Mr Thearle 1942, 1945. n.d.
Published:1925-1948
Reference Number:D453
Related Material:Charles Reilly D207
Separated Material:By agreement with Mrs Thearle, the original letters of Mr Bisson were deposited with Liverpool Record Office
Biographical/Administrative Information:

Mr. Herbert Thearle had a distinguished career at the Liverpool School of Architecture (1920-25) under Professor C.H. Reilly (who refers to his work in his autobiography, Scaffolding in the Sky, 1938, pp.209, 234). He was articled to Briggs and Thorneley of Liverpool. He was one of the finalists in the Rome Scholarship in Architecture competition in 1924 and 1926, and in 1926 won the RIBA's Henry Jarvis studentship which took him to the British School at Rome for 1926-28. He became ARIBA in 1925 and FRIBA in 1938. In support of Mr. Thearle's appointment as a part-time Lecturer and Studio Instructor, Professor Reilly in May 1930 wrote that Mr. Thearle was "one of the most brilliant men who have passed through the School of Architecture in recent years" (University Report Book, Vol.14, p.253)

As a partner in the practice of Barnish, Silcock and Thearle, Mr. Thearle was closely associated with the design of many well known buildings in Liverpool, including the orphanage in Woolton Road (awarded the RIBA's bronze medal in 1932). He won the Open Competition with Mr. L.G. Hannaford for Birkenhead Art Gallery (the Williamson Art Gallery). On leaving the School of Architecture as a Lecturer and Studio Instructor in 1948, Mr. Thearle concentrated on private practice, and was eventually joined by his brother, Mr. Laurence Bennett Thearle (B.Arch., 1934). His design (with the Liverpool City Architect) of New Heys High School won a RIBA bronze medal in 1957. He was elected president of the Liverpool Architectural Society in 1966. Mr. Thearle died in 1971 and an obituary appeared in the RIBA Journal, vol. 78 no.7, July 1971, p.310

Mr. Herbert Thearle is addressed/referred to as Mr. G. or Godfrey Thearle in some of these letters (and also in Professor Reilly's autobiography), and in fact he was known as Godfrey amongst his friends

Mr. Roderick F. Bisson (1910-87) was born in Liverpool and educated at the Liverpool Institute. He initially worked as an architect's draughtsman, later becoming a designer at Lewis' department store. During the Second World War he was at first a pacifist, later serving in the 8th Army as a cartographer, principally in North Africa and Italy. An artist, and later an art critic (for the Liverpool Daily Post), on his death ten of his paintings were presented to the University of Liverpool by his heirs. Apart from his paintings, Mr. Bisson is particularly associated with his history of The Sandon Studios Society and the Arts (1965)