D874 - Hughes, Professor D. L. CBE - -1996
|Archive level description:||Sub-sub fonds|
|Physical Description:||c. 15 boxes|
|Access Conditions:||Access is open to bona fide researchers unless otherwise stated, some records in this collection are Closed access.|
Arranged into the following sections:
Professor David L. Hughes was born in 1912 at Alexandria, Egypt and educated at Merton House School, Penmaenmawr (1922-26) and Wycliffe College, Stonehouse (1926-30) before studying at the Royal Veterinary College, London (Oct 1930-July 1934), qualifying MRCVS in July 1934. Professor Hughes held an Agricultural Research Council Studentship in Animal Health, 1934-37. He was successively Research Officer at the Ministry of Agriculture's Veterinary Laboratory, Weybridge (1937-38), Lecturer in Bacteriology at the Royal Veterinary College (1938-40), and Second Scientific Assistant at the Agricultural Research Council's Field Station, Compton (1940-46), before joining the staff of the Veterinary Science Division of Boots Pure Drug Co.Ltd. as Bacteriologist (1946-48), becoming Head of the Company's Veterinary Science Division (1948-55).
Professor Hughes was appointed to the Chair of Veterinary Pathology at the University of Liverpool as from 1October 1955 and retired at the end of 1978. He was also Dean of the Faculty of Veterinary Science, 1965-68; Warden of Roscoe Hall, 1965-72; and a Pro-Vice-Chancellor, 1975-78. He was a member of the Agricultural Research Council, 1973-83; a member of the Council of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, 1964-76 (President, 1974-75, and Senior Vice-President, 1975-76); and President of the British Veterinary Association, 1963-64.