D804 - Davies, Associate Professor J. Glyn, Teutonic Languages - 1914, 1929-38, 1974
Copy of an English translation of a published biography of Professor Davies, papers regarding the Association of University Teachers and its Liverpool Branch, papers relating to Dr Grace G. Leybourne, sociological mathematician and a copy of J.M. Mackay's pamphlet entitled A New University.
|Archive level description:||Sub-sub fonds|
|Physical Description:||3 folders|
|Summary:||Copy of an English translation of a published biography of Professor Davies, papers regarding the Association of University Teachers and its Liverpool Branch, papers relating to Dr Grace G. Leybourne, sociological mathematician and a copy of J.M. Mackay's pamphlet entitled A New University.|
|Date:||1914, 1929-38, 1974|
|Related Material:||Papers of Professor J. Glyn Davies are held by the Manuscripts and Music Department at Uppsala University Library, SwedenSee also P.159 for correspondence with John Sampson, Librarian of University College and later the University and other members of staff, circa 1900-1944Records of the Liverpool Association of University Teachers (LAUT) are available at A30|
Professor J. Glyn Davies (1870-1953) commenced his career in business, being apprenticed in Rathbone Brothers & Co., shipowners, of Liverpool (1887-92), later serving as Superintendent of Messrs. Thomas Williams, Cambrian Co. (shipping) (1892-95), as a General Average Expert with Henry Tate and Sons (1895-96), and as Secretary to the Mines Corporation of New Zealand (1896-98). From 1899 to 1907 he was heavily involved in building up the Welsh Library and its collections at University College, Aberystwyth.
From c. 1890 he was a student of Professor Kuno Meyer (Professor of Teutonic Languages, later of German, 1894-1911, Honorary Professor of Celtic, 1908-14), and was successively Assistant Lecturer, later Lecturer, later Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor, in Welsh, 1907-36. In succession to Professor Meyer, he was in charge of the Department of Celtic. The MA degree, ex officio, was conferred on him in 1911.