D835 - Craggs, Professor J. D., Lecturer in Electronic Engineering - -1997
This deposit comprises correspondence of Professor and Mrs Craggs and photographs of equipment and Professor Craggs
|Archive level description:||Sub-sub fonds|
|Physical Description:||1 folder|
|Summary:||This deposit comprises correspondence of Professor and Mrs Craggs and photographs of equipment and Professor Craggs|
|Related Material:||Copies of some of the photographs are held at the Science Museum, London|
Professor John D. Craggs joined the staff of the University in 1946 as a Lecturer in Electrical Engineering (Electronics), was promoted Reader in 1950, and from 1955 until his retirement in 1982 held the Robert Rankin Chair of Electronic Engineering.
After graduating from King's College London in 1938, he joined the staff in the High Voltage Research Laboratories of Metropolitan Vickers Ltd., where - except for a period in Berkeley, California, in 1944-45 - he stayed until moving to Liverpool. His work in Manchester on the neutron generator resulted in the building of the first full-size Van de Graaff in this country. During the War, he was involved in the development of radar and of the associated triggertron (a gas discharge tube). At Liverpool, Professor Craggs built a renowned research team which extended knowledge of the fundamentals of gaseous electronics. A noted ornithologist, he was also the editor of, and contributor of a number of chapters to, Hilbre, The Cheshire Island its history and natural history (Liverpool University Press, 1982).
Professor Craggs died in 1999. For further brief information about his career, see The University of Liverpool Recorder, No.90, Oct 1982, pp.18-19.