A199, D728, D1186 - Campagnac, E. T., Professor of Education - 1899 - 1950
A199 and D728 comprise two separate deposits that collectively record Professor Campagnac's work. A199 consists of material relating to Campagnac collected by John Vaughan, formerly Tutor-Librarian, Department of Education. D728 was deposited by Mrs Campagnac (Professor Campagnac's widow) and compri...
|Archive level description:||Sub-sub fonds|
|Physical Description:||3 series of records comprising 13 boxes and outsize item in total|
|Summary:||A199 and D728 comprise two separate deposits that collectively record Professor Campagnac's work. A199 consists of material relating to Campagnac collected by John Vaughan, formerly Tutor-Librarian, Department of Education. D728 was deposited by Mrs Campagnac (Professor Campagnac's widow) and comprises articles, addresses and lectures, working and research papers and correspondence. See head notes for individual deposits for more detailed information. The reader is advised to consult both D728 and A199 for a rounder view of Campagnac's activities. D1186 is a later deposit of material and comprises a visitors' book for Abercromby House, retirement book, and souvenir booklet for the opening of the Harold Cohen Library.|
|Date:||1899 - 1950|
|Reference Number:||A199, D728, D1186|
Born in 1873, Ernest Trafford Campagnac had a varied career before becoming Professor of Education in 1908. A Classical Scholar at University College, Oxford he became Warden of Manchester University Settlement and this was followed by a period as assistant lecturer in classics at University College of South Wales, Cardiff. He then spent several years as one of HM Inspectors of Schools before coming to Liverpool.
As an educationalist he believed in a liberal education for his students, encouraging a humanistic outlook which they could pass on in turn to their own pupils. He wrote and lectured widely on educational and historical topics. With substantial assistance from Sydney Jones he lavishly refurbished property in Abercromby Square to house the Department of Education and this included provision of a substantial library.
In his history of the University, For Advancement of Learning(1981), Thomas Kelly says of Campagnac that he "... was a man who was admired rather than liked. He was admired for his dignified bearing, his precise classical scholarship, his wit and his gift of graceful and polished speech ... but his wit had an acid quality about it: it was of the kind that makes enemies rather than friends."
Campagnac retired in 1938; his successor was A J D Porteous, a philosopher from the University of Edinburgh. Campagnac died in 1952.