LIB - Library Records - 1878-2009

Minutes (1885-1986); Reports (1906-1973); Financial records (1894-1959); Accession registers (1893-1963); Catalogues and shelf lists (ca.1878-1940s); Classification scheme (1960s); Borrower's registers (1885-1892); miscellaneous administrative records (1892-1977); Correspondence - loose papers (1908...

Full description

Archive level description: Series
Physical Description:8 series
Subjects:
Summary:Minutes (1885-1986); Reports (1906-1973); Financial records (1894-1959); Accession registers (1893-1963); Catalogues and shelf lists (ca.1878-1940s); Classification scheme (1960s); Borrower's registers (1885-1892); miscellaneous administrative records (1892-1977); Correspondence - loose papers (1908-1971); Illustrations (Harold Cohen Library) (ca.1938); Plans and photos (1930s, 1970s).
Date:1878-2009
Reference Number:LIB
Related Material:The papers of Dora Yates are held in Special Collections and Archives, University of LiverpoolA181 School of Education and University Library papersA192 Department of Education Library records (1916, 1918-1965) A plan of the Tate Library is available at GR.2.2(1), part of the Gregson Papers, at Special Collections and Archives, University of Liverpool Library
Bibliography:[Book] Hall, Audrey Winifred,Library provision in the University of Liverpool, 1881-1938: the origins, growth and establishment of a decentralised library system, MA thesis, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, 1975.
Biographical/Administrative Information:The history of the University Libraries begins in 1882, the year after the establishment of University College, Liverpool. Gifts and legacies received in the early days of the College, supplemented by a limited number of purchases, formed the nucleus of a useful and varied working collection but no permanent home was prided for them until in 1887 Sir Henry Tate gave a sum of money for the completion of the Victoria Building, facing Brownlow Hill. In the early years of the College, the library was taken care of by Eugenio Londini. The Tate Library opened in the Victoria Building in 1892 with its first full-time Librarian, John Sampson. By 1903, the library's capacity of 30,000 had been reached; this did not include the material contained within departmental libraries such as medicine and science. In 1908, all departmental libraries were brought under the supervision of the University Librarian and staff formerly appointed to look after the collections. The purchase, accession and cataloguing of books was also centralised. Further accommodation for the Library was found in the Victoria Building and New Arts Building and by 1937, around 190,000 volumes were held. The Harold Cohen Library was opened in 1938 with space for 250,000 volumes (with expansion space to 750,000) and seats for 300 readers. Staff numbers rose slowly, from 9 in 1919 to 15 in 1938-9. The demand for space continued; the Arts Reading Room was opened in 1964 and a new Arts library, the Sydney Jones, in 1971.William Garmon Jones, formerly associate Professor in Medieval History, was appointed Librarian in 1928. He over saw the building of the Harold Cohen Library and appointed the first Deputy Librarian, Lionel J H Bradley, who incidentally was the first member of staff to have a professional qualification in Librarianship. After Garmon Jones' death in 1937, Kenneth Povey was appointed as Librarian, introducing his own classification system, later replaced by the Library of Congress scheme. Around the same time, Dora Yates, previously Class Librarian, was appointed Curator of Special Collections and Lecturer in Bibliography. Povey was followed by Derek Ashdown Clark (1961-1966), Douglas Harold Varley (1966 - 1976) and Dr Victor Edgar Knight and later Frances Thompson.