VET/5/5 - Photograph of staff and students of the Veterinary School - 1928
Photograph of the Veterinary School, University of Liverpool, Staff and students outside the Old Medical School Building with key to names.
|Archive level description:||Sub-series|
|Physical Description:||1 photograph, 1 typescript sheet|
|Summary:||Photograph of the Veterinary School, University of Liverpool, Staff and students outside the Old Medical School Building with key to names.|
|Related Material:||See D198, tape recorded recollections of George Weston, 1977|
George Weston, Chief Technician, Department of Veterinary Pathology, on the staff of the Unversity of Liverpool from 1927-1948 and 1951-1971, d. 30 Sep 1978
The University of Liverpool School of Veterinary Medicine was opened in 1904 at a time when there were only 5 Veterinary colleges in the UK. Initially accommodated in the Medical School it moved, in 1908-1909, to a modest location in Brownlow Street. The School grew steadily under the leadership of John Share Jones, being transferred in the 1920s to Bedford Street North with a small animal hospital being erected in 1929 in Pembroke Place. Share Jones was succeeded in 1941 by Prof J G Wright. The School has continued to grow through the Leahurst Field Station and further developments to the Liverpool School. In 1960 the Veterinary Anatomy and Pathology departments moved to Brownlow Hill.