|A list of the surviving records of LAUT, including AUT and other publications, then in the custody of the Hon. General Secretary, Mr. A. J. Peters, in the School of Education was made in August 1979 (see List). Unfortunately, without the knowledge of the University Archives, a large number of these records were destroyed in early 1982, whereby A030 represents the residue which was not destroyed.
At a meeting of the teaching staff of the University held on 12 January 1920, with the Vice-Chancellor (Dr. J. George Adami) in the chair, it was unanimously resolved that a Liverpool University branch of the Association of University Teachers should be formed. The first meeting of the branch was held on 26 Jan 1920. The AUT itself had been founded in 1919.
The AUT's origins may be traced back to a meeting in 1909 of non-professorial staff at the University of Liverpool, convened by Mr R Douglas Laurie and Dr Joseph Pearson, Demonstrators and Assistant Lecturers in Zoology, which resolved to establish a Junior Staff Association. Mr Douglas Laurie left the University for Aberystwyth in 1918 and became the AUT's first President (1919-20), later serving as the AUT's Secretary from 1920 until his death in 1953.