D399 - Publications and press cuttings of or about the School of Local History and Records - 1908-1920
Copies of publications and press cuttings of or about the School of Local History and Records; correspondence re Readership in Local History 1911; also: J A Twemlow, Liverpool University Press, Institute of Archaeology and the early days of University College Liverpool.
|Archive level description:||Series|
|Physical Description:||4 envelopes|
|Summary:||Copies of publications and press cuttings of or about the School of Local History and Records; correspondence re Readership in Local History 1911; also: J A Twemlow, Liverpool University Press, Institute of Archaeology and the early days of University College Liverpool.|
|Custodial History:||These papers, or at least some of them, were collected by Mr. Robert Gladstone (a son of Mr. Robert Gladstone who was, inter alia, Treasurer of University College Liverpool 1881-1903), whose collections are held by the Library of the Athenaeum.D399/5 was found with Professor Twemlow's papers.|
|Related Material:||Prior to the final deposit of these papers it was established that the University Archives already held a copy of Professor Twemlow's testimonials (ref. 6C/22) but held none of the School of Local History's Annual Reports, etc. Though the University Archives holds volumes of University press cuttings, a random sample of two of the cuttings from the Athenaeum collection revealed that one of them, reporting upon the School of Local History's annual report for 1913-14, does not appear in the sameSee also the Papers of J A Twemlow, Lecturer in Palaeography and Diplomatics (from 1908), Associate Professor (1921-1934)|
The School of Local History and Records, formerly the School of Local History and Palaeography (from 1902). Professor J A Twemlow was the guiding light of this school from his appointment in 1908 until his retirement in 1934. The School came to an end in the 1950s but much of its work still went on, notably through the foundation of the Diploma in the Study of Records and Administration of Archives in 1947, founded by Geoffrey Barraclough.
Mr. Robert Gladstone (1866-1940) was the third son of Robert Gladstone, for many years chairman of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, and a grand-nephew of William Ewart Gladstone. Educated at Eton and New College, Oxford, he gained the degrees of M.A. and B.C.L. and joined the Inner Temple, but was not called to the Bar. He devoted his life to voluntary public activities and to study. The mass of his manuscript notes passed into the possession of the Liverpool Athenaeum under the terms of his will, together with a selection of the rare books, manuscripts, documents and maps accumulated in his library. He assisted the University School of Local History and Records in connection with the publication of the early Liverpool Town Books (ed. J.A.Twemlow), to the cost of which he contributed.
Mr. Robert Gladstone (1866-1940) was the author of Notes on the history and antiquities of Liverpool (originally published in 1923 in A. Holt, ed., Merseyside : a handbook to Liverpool and District...) and of a number of papers which appeared in the Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire. The Historic Society's Transactions, Vol.92, 1940, pp. 215-218, published an obituary notice, with a bibliography, and Liverpolitan published both a biographical sketch of Mr. Gladstone, "student of history and man of action" (Vol. 3 No.11, Nov. 1934, p.9) and an obituary (Vol. 9 No.3, April - May 1940, p.8), copies of all of which are held by Liverpool Record Office.