ART/3/1/1 - Institute of Archaeology Minute Books - 12 Oct 1904-21 Feb 1947

This series of records comprises Minute Books of the General Committee of the Institute of Archaeology and minute books of the Finance and Executive Committee.

Archive level description: Series
Physical Description:4 volumes
Subjects:
Summary:This series of records comprises Minute Books of the General Committee of the Institute of Archaeology and minute books of the Finance and Executive Committee.
Date:12 Oct 1904-21 Feb 1947
Reference Number:ART/3/1/1
Related Material:Professor Garstang's Papers at the Bodleian Library, Oxford, and the Palestine Exploration Fund; Professor Blackman and Miss Blackman's Papers at D84 and D271; Archives of the School of Archaeology housed in the Archaeology Museum, University of Liverpool
Bibliography:[Book] Kelly, Thomas, For the Advancement of Learning: the University of Liverpool 1881-1981, Liverpool University Press, pp.149-151.
Biographical/Administrative Information:The Institute of Archaeology was established in 1904; four chairs in Archaeology were subsequently created. John Garstang, appointed as Reader in Egyptian Archaeology in 1902, was central to this development and acted as Honorary Secretary. It was founded with the assistance of industrialists such as Sir John Brunner and shipowners such as Ralph Brocklebank, William Johnston and John Rankin, and was under the management of a committee headed by Lord and Lady Alice Stanley (the future Earl and Countess of Derby). The Institute occupied 40 Bedford Street North, later expanding into numbers 38 and 42 and provided lecturers' and teaching rooms and a museum of antiquities. (From Reilly, For the Advancement of Learning, pp.149-150).